Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

obsolete wps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

abangbikerz

Mechanical
Apr 3, 2012
MY
Does WPS qualified to asme ix get obsolete overtime. I know based on qw 100.3 that wps made using 1962 ed and above can be used for PV fabrication.

I just being question that our wps is quite old and he request to requalified our wps. His argument is that old material get obsolete and not suitable for current use. I dont think chemical composition change is essential variable for wps.

Anybody know how can i answer this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It is true that some material gets "obsolete". For example SA-285 Gr. C used to be used quite extensively for pressure vessels, but it is now replaced by SA-516-70 (at least in our shop). The WPS is still valid (without impacts) as they are the same P#/A#. Can't comment of the specifics of your situation as you don't list the materials.

In general, no the WPS does not become obsolete. If the essential, non-essential and supplementary essential variables still apply to the materials in use the WPS is valid as written.

I would ask your inspector to provide input as to why the WPS needs to be re qualified due to its age. Ask him to document via email his rationale in technical terms, and the risk for using welding procedure that he perceives to be 'old'.

I think that he will be challenged to provide a cognitive position.

QG-108 QUALIFICATIONS MADE TO PREVIOUS EDITIONS
Joining procedures, procedure qualifications, and performance qualifications that were made in accordance
with Editions and Addenda of this Section as far back as the 1962 Edition may be used in any construction for
which the current Edition has been specified. Joining procedures, procedure qualifications, and performance
qualifications that were made in accordance with Editions and Addenda of this Section prior to the
1962 Edition may be used in any construction for which the current Edition has been specified provided the
requirements of the 1962 Edition or any later edition have been met.

Procedure specifications, PQRs, and performance qualification records meeting the above requirements do not
require amendment to include any variables required by later Editions and Addenda, except as specified in
QW-420. Qualification of new procedure specifications for joining processes, and performance qualifications for
persons applying them, shall be in accordance with the current Edition of Section IX.

2005 is hardly old. I have WPSs older than I am. My response when asked about old procedures is that filler metals and power supplies have only gotten better in recent times, so if we could qualify our weld in the past with the same essential/non-essential variables, it can only be higher quality weld today. You could always revise the WPS without re-qualification...of course this is only cosmetics...but often what clients care about.

You could just as easily make the argument that no WPS should be allowed unless it had at least 10 years successful use in the construction of pressure vessels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back