Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Odd Structural System 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelPE

Structural
Mar 9, 2006
US
This is a new one to me. I have been asked to look at putting some additions onto an existing structure. The additions are currently planned to add significant snow drift to the existing office area which is a single story building. I was asked to visit the site today to look at the existing structure and I was surprised at what I saw.... which was what appeared to be a 3D roof structure with a structural ceiling grid.

20231117_103053_vccwjq.jpg

View above ceiling tile

IMG_0889_kzdwiw.jpg

View of ceiling system. Thick support tracks are, from what I can tell, structural.

I have never ran into such a system before. My recommendations to the owner are to not mess around with the ceiling at all.... and to not add any additional load to this roofing system as the members are very thin and reinforcing would be a huge mess. Does anyone have any information on systems like this? What year it was built and how to renovate such a system if you desired (and no, I have no desire to even attempt this)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

phamENG,

I guess I don't get on these forums as much as I used to. Very funny that the system has popped up twice in the past few weeks. Hopefully I am not being hoodwinked by anyone (I don't think so as the other thread has tectum decking where my system has a metal roof decking).

Ha - yeah, when I saw it my first thought was they turned it down and it landed on your desk. You're right, though - the roof deck is different, and the other looks like an industrial space and you have an office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back