Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OEM Suspension Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkEE

Automotive
Apr 14, 2003
US
I am considering using OEM suspension parts on an open wheel race car. In the past I made my own uprights, A-arms, etc and therefore knew the suspension point coordinates. How does one find out the suspension point coordinates on OEM parts.

Thanks,

MarkEE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MarkEE,

It's very tricky to get this data. Ideally one would have it before buying anything. Getting accurate data is difficult when the part is on the vehicle because a tape measure is about the only way to take the measurements. This is compounded by the fact that it isn't always clear where the center of a ball joint is (or other joints for that matter). It's easy to be 1/4" off, which is too much. Accuracy should be +/- 1/16" or better. What we should do is start a database on this sight or elsewhere with the following data taken from as many OEM parts as people have access to. If only we all had Coordinate measuring machines or 3-D laser scanners :)

The question is: How many people are willing to help populate this database. This will determine its success.

- upright geometry
- CAD models
- chassis pickup points
- control arm dimensions
- steering rack dimensions

-Joest

Markee
When you say open wheel race car what type of car are you talking about?? If it is an imca type modified i might be able to help you out some. Email me if you think maybe I can help.
jparker@cedsi.com

MarkEE,

Should we start a new formum and call it something like "Suspension Parts Geometry Database Forum" or similar?Once it's set up people could start posting what they are after and what they have available. It's a great idea since the OEMs do not publish this data to the public.

i'm willing to archive and host webpages for any data you guys can collect. i've got 20MB on fbody.com and nothing to use it for.

i just hope we get enough information to be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back