Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

% of H2O and % of bitumen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geokhan

Geotechnical
Apr 3, 2021
AE
Why is there a difference between these two formulas. formula for calculation of water %age in soil vs formula for bitumen %age in asphalt mix in exraction test. Water%= wt of water/ dry wt of soil . . and the bit%= wt of bit/ whole sample wt include bitument..thoughtful

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I feel so lucky that i find this site for my understanding. You seniors guys comments are so valuable to me.thats why i am so active because i hv more confusion and want to clear all of them

Hi Geokhan, from what I understand you are asking why moisture content and % bitumen use different formula's. The first thing that comes to mind is apples and oranges, soil and asphalt. The second thing is that moisture content used in soil mechanics is no the same as % water and % solids used in pipelines. I believe there are other threads which discuss the difference in what is the water percentage based on which profession you ask. To get to the heart of why things are calculated the way they are it deals with the research in the field of study, soil mechanics and asphalt, which are not the same field of study.

In soil, the percent moisture is related to the dry weight of soil, since comparing the moisture to its total weight would yield a result that would be meaningless. For bitumen, the percent bitumen can easily be compared to total weight since it doesn't need to relate to the particle weights because it has a different function in the matrix of bitumen than water has in a soil matrix. Asphalt is a cementing product in asphaltic concrete. Water is a lubricant and slight cohesion enhancer in soil, but is not a cementing medium.

Ok..can we say that in bitumen extraction test we include bitumen in divisor bcz in blend making during mix design we take bitumen in calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back