Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offline flyback SMPS transformer has "gappy" shield windings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

waveboy

Electrical
Mar 19, 2006
GB
Hi,
Just doing an Offline Flyback transformer for 13.7V and 3A output. VAC input is 240VAC.
We are doing it sandwiched [Pri1 – Bias - Shield1 – SEC – Shield2 -Pri2]
I found it impossible to wind the shield without “gaps” (as attached) between the coils, due to the uneven winding surface. (due to my club-handed winding) Do you think that it will still be OK? The shields are connected to Primary side (post rectifier bridge) GND.

You can see the blue tape between the coil turns due to the gaps
All coils are using Enamelled copper wire as we cant source TEX-ELZ (TIW) cheaply and at short lead time.

Shield winding as on page 8...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Shields are never perfect... but gaps can be filled in with some extra turns in the area of need. If this is for a prototype, I would just pay attention to any EMI you get from it... if it's low enough, move on with the real work.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Thanks,
The thing is, as you know, the shield coil will have a voltage which alters polarity every switching cycle.
Shield1 also lies virtually alongside Primary1 (first half of primary coil). As such, we would like to have adjacent ends of shield1 and primary1 coils both positive and both negative at the same time. The thing is, if you receive a consignment of wound transformers from a winding company, then how, (without powering it up in a flyback), can you tell that they have correctly phased the shield windings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back