Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offset and match functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AELLC

Structural
Mar 4, 2011
US
I am trying to devise a method to input a reaction load and several other variables, and the output would be a type of support hanger.

This seems to be getting a bit too cumbersome because of all the variables, and I was looking for a more efficient (but non-VBA) formula.

In the attached Excel file, cell D16 is a copy of the actual formula (still not complete).

Cell D9 is a simplified formula with 2 "IF" statements to illustrate what I am trying to accomplish. I am looking to reduce it to only one "IF" statement, but am stymied.

i.e., depending on whether cell D5=1 or cell D5=2, need to go to match array I8:I13 or J8:J13, respectively.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thread770-281108

Switch function was described in above thread. I have found it sometimes helps simplify nested if logic. I haven’t studied your particular formula enough to figure out if it will help. But it’s a good tool to have in your belt imo.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

LOL, this has been frustrating me for 3 days, but posting it here seems to have jarred the brain cells.

I didn't realize until now that in the MATCH function, array can be a formula i.e. IF(D5=1,I8:I13,J8:J13

since D5 is data-validated and the only possible values are 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back