Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offsetting Surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

DieMan44

Mechanical
Sep 16, 2004
US
Hi all,

I'm trying to offset a non-planar surface inorder to create runout for a check fixture block. I the face itself that I am offseting is close to planar so there is no min rad. issues there. However, two of the top surfaces (4 total) when I extend them will eventually taper into no surface if the offset would continue beyond that point leaving two surfaces. Off course, I get an error and need to choose a smaller offset. My question is what are some work arounds to an issue like this. This will be something that will be required quite often in my designs and I would be very grateful for any help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have often offset a surface into oblivion, I know UG will let you do it. I am curious as to how your solid was built. Was it a bunch of surfaces sewn together to create a solid? Is your top surface the result of a trimsheet?

It was created by extracting the inside of metal surface on a sheet metal part. I used the trim and extend command on the sheets I sewed together and trimed the top of the block. I could not extend the sheets as far I wanted, so I tried to offset the faces on the block, which didn't work either due to the fact 2 of the 4 surfaces would of converged leaving only 2 surfaces at that point. Needles to say, I need to find a method that will allow me to create this runout geometry in this and other parts in the future.

You are not able to extend the faces.I was wondering if you can create tangent surface using may be through curve mesh etc (If the extended face is outside your working area).

Also I would like to mention there is command edit--free form feature--enlarge. Here you can create tangential or linear extension face.

Knowing that you have patched together a solid I think, only guessing, that the bordering surfaces don´t have a matematical larger definition.

I would offset just the surface and make new tangent surfaces, trim the surfaces and finally patch it back on the solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back