Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offshore conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0164

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2005
BE
Hi guys,

We have to specify some mechanical equipment (deck crane, loading arms, inside fuel tank, etc,,) for an offshore platform (no oil rig) in the North Sea. We have some DNV standards but where in heaves sake can I find the min and max temperatures at sea and wind loads at certain heights, Platform is located in UTM Zone 31 (WGS84) but does that give everything ?? I only see this as a longitudional reference but do I still have to define the horizontal reference ?? Platform for the coast of Belgium

Is it sensible to desing the inside equipment (HVAC on board) also for the outside temperatures in case the HVAC does not workor are there rules for this.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regard,

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The owners should have specified those in the project's design conditions statement.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Zone 31 only gives you an idea of longitude. The latitude is dictated by a following letter. I would guess then that offshore Belguim would be UTM Zone 31U, But I am no surveyor.

In answer to your question the Operator should have the information you need. Their metocean teams usually collate environmental data and then do statistical calculations to determine appropriate design data.

A couple of possible references:

NORSOK N-003 Actions and Action Effects - gives indications of temperature ranges along with snow and ice accumulation. Unfortunately it is focussed on Norway so doesn't quite cover Belguim. Available from NORSOK website.

UK HSE Offshore Technology Report 2001/10 Environmental Considerations - this also gives indications of minimum and maximum air and sea temperatures, and does cover offshore Belguim. Available from HSE website.

These are indications only and you really would be better with specific information from the operator, or alternatively search for something more specific published in Belguim to suit their industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back