Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

OFFSHORE DRILLING P.E. OVERSIGHT 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please refer to previous thread730-329408.

I wanted to ask this group how the P.E. responsible in charge for construction in the field requirement by most large state Engineering licensing boards is accomplished out on the water?

For land based work the P.E. is overall responsible for the constructed work and should inspect it at key milestones. Do P.E.s who certify the casing designs have to witness each one out on a rig? Or are there different criteria since many of the rigs are in federal waters??

Thank you,
Dave

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In federal waters do you need a federal PE, or just that of any state?

Just seems to me that on many projects it appears that there is a lack of adult supervision. Or at least the rule makers seem to point to.

As far as I have seen they just need a PE to sign off. I am not sure what would determine if a PE in Texas or Louisiana needs to sign off on a platform that is located in the Gulf of Mexico

Future PE Engineer
Pet project I am working on to help other engineers, not much yet hoping to get it grow as I learn more

What an incredible amount of bloated, egocentric, busybody know-nothings you all are. Your entire Petroleum Engineering IQ couldn't match an onion ring's. Yet your self absorbed, sanctimonious wanderings lead you to believe that more stacks of paper, written on by you of course, can help to rehabilitate even the lowliest of the low; the Oil Beasts.

There was more ingenuity, engineering, and most of all, common sense in the oilpatch 100 years ago than you drones could ever understand. Go work in a paper factory somewhere and let the adults find the oil.

Sounds like frustrations of some kind.

I assume that in the oil industry, like the utility industrys, that accounts make ruleings over what the engineers say because of costs. So the feds have decided that an enginner should be required to sign off on those decisions. Thinking that the engineer should have a better perspective.

The feds are wrong, because if you pay someone enough money, they will be agreeable to anything (not every engineer, but just enough of them are out there).

I thought I did a pretty good job of telling you how I really felt....

Frustrated with the oilfield? Not hardly, I still love the smell of burning diesel in the morning. And I am the boss.

Oil change and tire rotation most likely are in order however; and I'll take a lube job anytime.

What does nauseate me however is reading mindless meanderings with that noxious air of over-educated, under experienced, leftist think-tank, Das Kapital reading, Che Guevara shirt T-shirt wearing superiority.

"Just seems to me that on many projects it appears that there is a lack of adult supervision. Or at least the rule makers seem to point to."

What does that even mean? What appearances are you talking about? What have you seen? What are the many projects you refer to?

I thought so.

I much prefer the smell of diesel; at least it creates something and doesn't sit around pontificating.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it (for a change).

"I thought I did a pretty good job of telling you how I really felt...."

Yes, you did, but it looks as if you can't recognise sarcasm when you see it.

Stay calm and carry on.

By the way, I do smoke a pipe....very calming.

Following your advice, I dug out an old pipe I had from the 70's....you are right....very calming. Thank you.

Now, if all you guys are finished bickering, lets get on to the topic at hand.
For offshore regulation/certification of structures and subsea equipment, go look up ABS and DNV just for starters.

Casing strings are a part of hole design and have nothing to do with the construction of the drilling rig, floating/stationary vessel. Totally different companies, totally different project. It is designed based upon expected geologic conditions, total depth of the hole, expected geologic pressure and pressure gradients, and lots of other stuff.

Casing design projects are undertaken by the operator (oil company) and are reviewed by many experienced eyes.

"Just seems to me that on many projects it appears that there is a lack of adult supervision. Or at least the rule makers seem to point to."

People in Washington think people in your industry are children, because a few people in the oil industry act that way. It's called stereotyping. Leftests are good at it.

However, I am sure your industry is full of accountants who think they know how the world works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back