Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Offshore Survival equipments 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlpm

Chemical
Jun 17, 2005
What part of API covering Offshore Survival equipments required on Mained oil production platform

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One can argue that the GMDSS requirements that apply to vessels do not apply to an offshore platform. Refer to the ABS requirements for your specific type platform.

I'm not familiar with an API standard that covers survival equipment. I don't believe there an API standard for this equipment. If you operating is US waters you'll need to comply with 33 CFR. The specific section depends on your location and what type of vessel you're on (i.e. boat, platform, etc.).

As Far as ABS is concerned ABS is only entitled to through their 2 cents in if they're classing the unit. If your classed by another classification Society, of which there are only 4 out of the 11 in the world, approved by the US to class US Flagged vessels, they'll want to through their 2 cents in and then bill you for their time (with their billing rates, it's hard to believe they a Non-Profit Organization).

The next thing, which is likely a small issue, is that if your a US flagged vessel, MODU, or on a platform, you'll need USCG approved equipment. You can find this on the web at:

Regards,
Dan

Google the International Life Saving Appliance (LSA) Code. Most of these rules come under the Juridiction of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), the International Maritime Organization and the United Nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back