Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oil cut, GOR question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

elquesifilma

Chemical
Jun 12, 2008
US
What does it mean when i am told a well produces 1000 barrels of total fluid with a GOR of 500 scf/bbl and 50% oil cut? with a wellhead pressure of 2000 psi at primary production?

How much oil, produces water and gas will i be producing?

does this mean 500 bbls of oil, and 500 bbls of water with 500000 scf of gaS?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Apologies to BigInch but no.

500 bbls water + 500 bbls oil is correct but

GOR = Gas / Oil Ratio (scf/bbl)

therefore Gas flow = 500 scf/bbl x 500 bbl(oil)= 250000 scf

regards
NMcC

You're 100% right. 1000 x 500 looked right when I got to the end of the question. Apologies elque.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Thanks for the star. I really really deserved that one. [blush]

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Elq:

I would like to give one warning - it depends (a little) whether you are upstream or downstream.

The reservoir engineer will set up his simulation to produce a result such as the one you mention.

As a facility eng. you will receive

a) A composition
b) A production profile.

GOR may change over the years - but you are only issued one composition. Most chemical engineer will now realise that something doesn't add up.

Furthermore you should also ask the reservoir eng - how did you set up the simulation. The results may be based on a single flash at standard conditions - or a 4 stage flash a specified pressures and temperatures - you cant be sure until you ask and this data may not be given to you. And just because it was something the last time . its not certain its the same this time. So always ask.

Best regards

Morten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back