Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil interceptor for air supply line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rees101

Chemical
Sep 23, 2005
GB
I have a problem with an air blower for an air scour supply to a gravity filter. The air scour is for backwash purposes.
The problem encountered is that the air blowers are releasing some oil through the scour pipe. It is only very small amounts however I am looking at ways to stop this.

One way I was thinking was to install some kind of oil interceptor after the blower to filter it out of the air stream.

If anyone has any experience or advise on this type of problem that would be a great help.

Many thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My first step in dealing with this issue would be to determine where exactly the oil is coming from. It may seem a simple answer but if the process is designed to produce "oil free" air, then why is the air containing oil? WAS the process designed to produce oil free air? I assume that because the oil is a problem that originally it must have been oil free. You must find the source of the oil entering the process and eliminate it or minimize it first before attempting any downstream remedial action. Air blowers are typically made to not introduce oil into the fluid being moved so my hunch is that something is wrong with the seals on the shafts or the shafts themselves have grooved beneath the oil seals or something of that sort. Please give me more information and we can go further with this.

Rotary lobe blowers: These units are typically capable of
producing up to 100 kPa (15 psig) service. The units may have an oil-filled gear case and should use a filter for oil removal as necessary.

Contact the blower supplier and see what is available. You need to find a filter that has a low pressure drop.

filters for oil removal:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back