Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Oil levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankiee

Marine/Ocean
Jun 28, 2005
CA
The company I work with which has mostly EMD 16 cylinder and Fairbank Morse 8 cylinder engines, has a habit of keeping the oil level low in effort to burn less lubrication oil.
I hate the idea. They seem to keep the oil on the add mark of even a bit under then just add 20 to 40 liters.
I am a 4th class and new there so I cant say anything but I think that it is wrong.
On the dip stick there is a add mark and a full mark and I would keep it on the full mark.
I am quite sure the engineer already compensated for waves of the seas.
I don't doubt that the engines burn more oil when kept up in level, but I think that is the amount they burn and lowering the level in the oil pan is just compensating for poor oil control rings.
I would like to hear what anybody has to say.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The person who put the marks on the dipstick generally has vastly more knowledge than the chief or super wishing to cut oil consumption.

In my experience it is true that oil consumption is less when running at lower levels. There is an interesting paper on the economics of this practice that I can't at the moment lay my hands on.

I have sailed as chief opposite a swing into this practice. The oil consumption at the end of swings was not that significant and the oil quality with lower sump levels was significantly worse. All major parameters from oil analysis were much worse - particulary particulates, viscosity and consumables.

My philosophy is to run machines within there designed operating limit! If you arn't making a dollar by running the business as it should be then get out...

The engine - any engine - should work perfectly at any oil level between the minimum and maximum marks on the dipstick. The practice of using the minimum mark and adding '20 to 40 litres' doesn't seem to be an irresponsible act (unless that over-fills it).
The minimum mark (asuming it's a proper marine diesel) will have been calculated to accommodate the worst scenario of hull roll, pitch and slosh (maybe 40 deg - depends on type of craft).
The normal practice of filling to 'max' gives you a margin for reduction of oil level due to burn, and is therefore good for peace of mind. If you can be sure that the level is always 1 mm over the minimum mark, you should be just fine. 1 mm under, and you're in trouble. Engine manufacturers know what they're doing.

On the Fairbanks Morse I remember checking the inches of water and compared it with the manual and it was within spec.
The EMD's on the other ship do not have a manometer on the engines and I do not know what the vacuum is.
I just got a letter today that I have been accepted at a power plant generating station so I guess I will never see those particular engines again and I don't have to think about it.
Thanks for the replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back