Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Oil Pickup Tubes - How do they do this? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnelson33

Mechanical
Mar 7, 2018
US
Hey all, I'm not sure where to post this. It's an automotive part, but it's also a pipe and concerns manufacturing techniques.

Does anyone know the name of the crimping process for this outside ring? Most google hits are returning hose assembly tools, and I don't think it's radial crimping.

If I know the process I can more easily track down vendors for making our own version of an oil pickup tube.
Pickup_Tube_Crimp_qm25ht.jpg

We've sent OEM CAD models for GM LS oil pickup tubes to 5-6 stateside vendors and they all no quote because they say they can't do it.

I know OEMs have special techniques they consider intellectual property, but doesn't seem worthwhile to invest capital into a cheaper part like this to me. The GM LS oil pickup tubes are more complicated that what's pictured here, so I can post pictures of that too, just ask!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Welding or brazing are suitable options.

In terms of forming that -

The blanking of the bottom piece would then get a forming operation to create a flange
The top piece would be set in place
A device with grooved rollers would close on the flange and force the flange to some intermediate angle 45 degrees to 30 degrees open
A device with grooved rollers would close on the flange, possibly split with a heavy spring to force the groove halves together, maybe with a roller that engages at the end, to finish the job.

If you are making just a few, then consider turning the flat plate to have the correct edge rounding to it and brazing or welding the cone into a recess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back