Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

oil return from suction accumulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeywpittman

Mechanical
May 31, 2004
US
if i were to install a suction line accumulator in an R22 refrigeration system right before the compressor. for the propose of preventing any liquid refrigerant from getting back to the compressor. how does the oil get back to the compressor with out the liquid getting back.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I hope I can explain this without pictures.

Assuming a vertical accumulator...
There are two connections, the inlet and the outlet. The inlet connection extend into the inside of the accummulator a couple of inches, then just ends. The outlet connection extends into the accumulator all way to the bottom, then makes a 180deg. bend back towards the top. Looks like a "J." This forces the suction connection to draw vapor from the top of the vessel. To get oil back, the is a small hole right at the bottom. When the vapor liquid, and oil stratify, if deisgned properly the return bend is sitting in the oil.

This is why you have to size them properly. Undersized means you can't eat enough liquid, oversized means you can't return the oil properly.

check out refresearch.com. They have a good cutaway.

Clyde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back