EnglishMuffin

Mechanical
May 21, 2003
US
I am trying to get the following old equipment and software to work together :

1. Tektronix 2630 FFT analyzer which uses DOS software
2. HP 7475A Pen Plotter
3. Windows 95 in DOS mode

Its my own equipment and it's all I have available to do an independent project, so please resist the urge to crack jokes!

Problem :

If I run the 2630 FFT analyzer using the correct DOS software, it works OK except for the screen plotting. If I try to plot, I just get an error signal on the plotter. However, years ago, when I used this plotter with BASIC programs which I wrote myself, I always used the following BASIC command line at the start of a plot routine :
OPEN "COM1:9600,S,7,1,RS,CS65535,DS,CD" AS #1
As I understand it, this means:

9600 Baud
Parity bit = space
7 data bits
1 stop bit
Suppress request to send
Clear to send waits for approx 65 secs
Data set ready and carrier detect are not checked.

I find that if I run a single line program incorporating this instruction, before running the DOS FFT analyzer program, I can at least get most of the screen data to plot, but not all of it. I still get the error light after a few seconds of plotting, so it looks as though there is still a buffering problem.

Questions:
1. What are the correct DOS "SET" commands which do the same thing as the BASIC program commands?
2. Is there a way to fix what appears to be a buffering problem ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear friend,

I just found that there is a Tektronix 2630 Fourier analyzer in our department. (just a big white box, no cable, no PC and manual...) I asked the technical staff in Tektronix but they told me they stopped the support for this machine. This machine seems to be in mint condition by its appearance.Can you tell me how to get this machine hooked up (I can find a PC for this machine). I need to use this machine to collect frequency spectrum and save as ascii files. Your help is greatly appreciated.

C. Chen

Well, at the moment I'm not aware that I'm your friend exactly, but maybe I can offer you some assistance. I have had my 2630 since it was new - I bought it while in the R & D department of a company that later went out of business, and acquired it for my personal use in the sell off. It still works great.
There were different optional configurations that were available for this analyser, such as zoom fft, a full four channels, programable excitation frequency output, and a hard disk real-time data recorder. But I only have two channels and none of those options. Its good for 20 KHz.
It runs under DOS, and you need to get hold of the software, preferably the latest version, which used to be provided both on 5 1/4" floppies and 3 1/2" disks and has mouse support. Mine works fine on an old Pentium running Windows 95 in DOS mode, which I keep just for the purpose -I'm not sure how it would work with DOS emulation on a more modern operating system. It has to run in full screen mode. The analyzer is connected to an old style serial port - either full size or the smaller kind (as originally supplied it should have had both types of cable with it). The analyzer can be configured to run from COM1 or COM2. The file structure used in the later versions of the program differs from that used in the earlier versions. I have on occasion written BASIC software which accesses the files for both versions. It will print to a dot matrix printer and a pen plotter, among other things - but those are the only two printers that I have ever used with it.
There are several rental outfits that carry this analyzer and presumably the documentation and software for it, which is not copy protected.
eg :

Thank you very much for your response. My e-mail is autonvh@yahoo.com . Please send me the software copy and the cable pin outs (outputs?). Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back