Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Old Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobPE

Geotechnical
Sep 4, 2003
US
Does anyone know what this machine is and how it works? The photo was taken near an old silver mine in Mexico.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is that a crankshaft on the inside? Looks like a 3 cylinder power unit probably used to power a separate rock crusher, or possible water pump, via some kind of chain drive.

A first glance I would have said, petrol / oil fired engine but couldn't understand the single valve arrangement for each cylinder, Compositepro got me thinking. It is a steam engine. What looks like a single valve arrangement is actually a sliding valve timed to open and close an inlet and exhaust port to direct the steam into the cyliders and for the exhaust cycle.

Manufacturer ??
built when ???
use - to drive a flat belt to power something ???? crusher / pump / winding drum.

A bit of mining history.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

One person I showed the picture to thought it could be a stamp mill designed for crushing rock. However, I was skeptical. The steam engine idea makes more sense considering the size, the belt drives, and the ports.

I love the old mining history. It's very interesting. The folks that live near the old mine, near Colima, Mexico I believe, want to know more about the history. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

The picture shown is not a stamping mill, or compressor, or pump - it is an engine which I believe, without any further pictures or information is / was steam powered. However, it might well have driven a stamper or a pump or a compressor or some other piece of mining equipment.

A stamping mill is a stand alone piece of equipment that can be engine driven or water wheel - or electric motor driven (but not in the early days of mining.)
link to stamping mill / crusher
It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back