Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

old press brake hydraulics

Status
Not open for further replies.

metaltechinc

Mechanical
Aug 6, 2003
US
I have a question. I have an old hydraulic press brake that is having issues. I have no schematics for it. It was made in italy and after they made it, they must have gone under. It has served us well for about 15 years. A couple of days ago we heard something up on top by the tank and then the pressure dropped to 500 psi. I need 1500 just to lift the ram. It can push over 5000psi. It has an external motor coupled to a hydraulic motor inside the tank. After looking, found it had destroyed the coupler, which is what I think they heard. Got it replaced and still nothing more than 500. Decided that since the valves had been dripping, might as well put seals everywhere that I can. I have not done all of them, maybe 75% of them. Still nothing. I am an engineer, but not well versed on hydraulics. I have pics of the valves. If anyone is interested in helping me through this, I can send pics and basically what it needs to do.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need to pull the pump and have a look inside it.

It’s likely that coupling broke when the pump torque went up.

Check the pump...

With respect, do you know what you are looking for in terms of the pump? A clean pump does not indicate a good pump necessarily.

If the pump is in good shape, then by the sounds of things, there is a relief valve or other valve that is stuck open and preventing the machine from building pressure.

Out of interest, what type of pump is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back