Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old S-Section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocks1

Structural
Jan 25, 2019
US
Can anyone tell me where I can find the section properties of an old S24x105. 1918 vintage?
I am only able to find sections that are very close in my historic manual collection (S24x106, S24x104.5, etc.)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you checked AISC's historic shape database?

That old I am not surprised you can't find accurate section properties; I'd field measure the beam and calculate section properties yourself.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA, FL) Structural Engineer (IL, HI)

Capture_nteyib.png
'

from the historic database:
Open Source Structural Applications:

Following what canwesteng mentioned, does anyone have a detailed drawing or information on the dimensions of S-beams. The tapered flange, lack of toe radius information and where exactly the average flange thickness is applied makes it impossible to make an accurate drawing of an S-shape. Surely there is a profile somewhere. How else would manufacturers know if they are making it within tolerance?

Interestingly enough, the properties provided by Celt83 match identically with properties provided in the first edition AISC Steel Construction Manual for a 24Ix105.9. The properties also exactly match those for a 24x7 7/8 American Standard beam that weighs 105.9 lb per foot from the 1934 edition of the USS Pocket Companion.

canwesteng said:
How would you go about measuring the properties of an S-section? The tapered flanges would make it a nightmare.

Use a caliper and measure the thickness at the flange tip and measure a point closer to the web to establish a slope of the tapered flange. Calculate the section properties on the resulting flange shape.

Ian Riley, PE, SE
Professional Engineer (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA, FL) Structural Engineer (IL, HI)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back