Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Steel Shape 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

broekie

Structural
Feb 17, 2004
US
I'm looking for cross sectional properties on an old steel channel (for a bridge built in 1924) that was 15" deep and weighed 55 pounds/foot. Anyone have any ideas where I might find this information? I have an old publication that has wide flange shapes, but no channels. If nothing else, I may just use the modern C15x50 to get close.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The best thing to do is go out and measure the exact dimensions of the section. You can then calculate the needed section properties.

Once you know grade of steel, you should be good to go.

I agree with AggieYank. You need detailed measurements of the channel and then calculate the section properties you need.

Have you looked at the AISC Rehabilitation and Retrofit Guide? This is book 15 in their Steel Design Guide Series. If nothing else, it can tell you the standards of the day. From 1914-1931, ASTM A7 was the specification for structural steel and rivet steel for bridges.

I quickly looked through it, but did not see channels. I vaguely recall a similar project I did years ago and remember not finding shapes other than wide flanges. I just calculated the properties I needed after taking detailed measurements in the field.

Hope this helps.

My Carnegie Pocket Companion has a 15" 55# channel. The amazing Slide Rule Era has a 1923 CPC on his web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back