Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Old Stromberg(ABB) motor protection relay 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runsor

Electrical
Dec 7, 2006
FI
I'm trying to understand settings from an old SPAJ 3R5 motor protection relay by Stromberg (nowadays ABB). Where could I get a manual of this old relay? Google gives a hit on an ABB page, but it doesn't work.
From the unclear old setting sheet from the customer I read that CT is 800/5 and the 1st over current settings are 400 A = 7 per unit. That doesn't make sense. Operation delay is 7.5 s. The motor is a 12 MW 10 kV synchronous grinding machine. FLC = 690 A. The 2nd overcurrent stage and the thermal overload settings are even more cryptic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's a fairly good chance that someone in ABB at Vasteras, Sweden would know where to find the data. Sorry I don't have any contact details to hand - I'm not in work and all my cards are there. Maybe it will help you target your enquiry a little better within ABB.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Runsor

I think what the name plate is telling you is that the starting over current is 7 times 400Amp for 7.5 seconds, (assume inverse time) and that the running over current is 400Amp for 7.5 seconds. Then the short circuit over current is 1200Amp for 15 seconds (inverse time). Also the termal modal heating time constant is 2 minutes and the cooling time constant is 30 minutes. What is the normal running current of this motor? I also think that this relay is doing somoe over and under voltage protection with the 1.3 and 0.8

The miss hit on the ABB web page is just an upgrade cross reference list, it suggests using a REM 543/545 relay to replace the SPAJ3R5.

I could be wrong :)

Hi Runsor.
I try found for you manuals of this relay.
I think, we have old ABB catalogues from 1989.

Scotty, Stromberg in past is ABB Finland , Vaasa.

Niallnz, REM543 is good for this type of motor, but it's replaced all protections.
If I remeber right SPAJ3R5 is simple 50/51/ relay with knobs
Regards.
Slava

Thanks Slava, I knew it had to be one of the two! I thought Vaasa was mainly R&D these days and automation was at Vasteras? Thanks for putting me right.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back