Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Older lasers need help on purchase (bystronic or lvd fanuc) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorillam

Computer
Jan 16, 2017
CA
I am looking at purchasing 1999-2001 vintange laser for backup to my newer entry level laser. The choice is between bystronic 4kw and lvd fanuc 4kw laser.

Which machine would be easiest to operator for someone not wanting to pay for a big factory training, I am familiar with the B&R trumpf touchscreen laser.

The lvd is fanic 16L and the bystronic is windows based.

Also can people give me honest reliability and gas consumption on the older fanuc versus bystronic resonators 4kw.

I can't dig out info on the older machines as the mfg's onyl publish new stuff and barely at that.

I am assuming the fanuc will be a major pain to use/learn but be reliable as a tank.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I was the 1st applications engineer hired by LVD in North America so I am prejudiced, but both could be good machines. You also have Chris Krug who is a member here and is an expert with the Bystronics. As you mentioned, the Fanuc system is very reliable, but at that age of equipment, your future reliability will have a more to do with how well the previous owners maintained the laser and how it is decomissioned and reinstalled then who made it. Do yourself a favor and have someone qualified check out the machine before you purchase. If you let me know where the LVD is located and what model it is, I might be able to provide some info on it's history. I have customers who have LVD lasers older than what you are looking at that are still reliably running multiple shifts and cutting every day.

LVD made heavy duty equipment that will last for a long time. Compare the machine weights. I like the fact that the LVD uses a single cylinder (Pre-Mix) of laser gas vs 3 cylinders and a gas mix system for ease of use. The LVD/Fanuc also offered features on the older 16LB control that were well ahead of its time. Part and contour counters to allow the program to be easily restarted at any point on the sheet, real-time adjustment of cutting parameters, edge function (sharp corners), and an excellent custom GUI for maintaining and calibrating machine specific systems.

I can provide laser operator and programmer training at a much lower cost that LVD, plus I have the experience with the older control and systems you are looking at on the LVD. Let me know if I can help.

How can I contact you, I would like to see if you are close by if you would want to quote on the decomission job? Or can take a look into the history of the s/n

The 4kw bystar is probably one of the best lasers for a beginner. It's built well and not as complicated as the newer machines. I gave someone 2 days training on a similar bystronic and he's cutting on his own now. I don't recommend 2 days training, the machine he bought was abused. They're 100% serviceable but the repair time cut into the time we had put aside for training.

Chris
706-627-7854

Chris Krug Maximum Up-time, Minimum BS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back