Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Olfactory/Odor/Scent engineering/labs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

salukikev

Mechanical
May 14, 2008
US
Hi all!
So I'm a product design engineer faced with the uncommon task of engineering and designing a product in which scent distribution and method is the primary function (eg. an Air freshener). Now that I've gotten into it more and equipped myself to do some testing and data collection, I have come up with some questions and dialogue in which I was hoping to get a consultant involved. I don't mind sharing these questions with the forum if anyone has experience, but I'd mostly like a recommendation for a person or company that specializes in scent development, testing, and/or design. If I could just pick up the phone and talk to the Glade plug-in guys for example-- that would be helpful. I don't really know the proper terminology to google to find more resources, but I'm sure there are lots of labs out there.

My questions generally concern concentrations, substrates, and air saturation levels of different scents- also have some questions about temperature and surface area in this regard, just to give you an idea. Its such an odd thing that I had trouble finding a forum to post this to, so I hope "other topics" was the right choice. Thanks in advance to any moderators that see fit to move this somewhere more appropriate.
-kevin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd suggest starting with a Google search for "Indoor Air Quality".

ASHRAE has some significant interest in the field, and I think there is even a conference or two dedicated to the subject.

Find some papers, speakers, exhibitors and follow the bouncing ball from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back