Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

On Line Fire Pump Piot Flow and Curve Calculators 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokerr

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2010
US
Once a year I need to run calcs for a pitot tube flow test out of a Play Pipe. I am building a chart with our values, but its an annoyance to do it by hand or interpreting between tables.

Also auto plotting the test results on a pump curve and seeing where it stands would be a help.

It varies from simple 3 point test to 6 and 12 points if we have repaired a pump and want better delineation to compare to the original values. Doing it once a year means a repeat learning experience.

My company will not buy the software, is there an online calculator and pump chart program that lets you plug in values and come up with the flow curve?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Recently I went through this myself. I have three fire sprinkler software packages, but none fit my needs as regards flow tests. My solution, I wrote a flow test spreadsheet program using MS Excel and in two pages it prints out the flow test results and an N185 chart. The hard part is the N185 portion, that took some doing and after all that I found a FREEWARE program. Free for now at least, called Hydrant Flow Test, and it's on igneusinc.com and this thing does everything my own file did but one one page and for free. This may not have been developed for pump tests but works, as you may add additional outlets to the flow. Also, this software allows you to insert your company name and flow test notes. A different plot program with an N185 graph option that I purchased is D-Plot and it is VERY robust, a bit complicated, but does everything any of us should need.

Thanks to both.

I have the OSU set from TravisMack and will do trial runs when I get some free time (winter hit and heating systems are hot issue right now).

Will check out the other one as well from Firesout.

Sometimes, it is better to do these calculations and plotting by hand than using programs. At least by hand, you can see what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back