Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

On-line masters degree program 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopher13

Structural
Jun 21, 2016
US
I am bouncing around the idea of getting my masters degree in structural engineering. I live no closer than 2 hours from the closest university that offers such a program plus I work full time and have other obligations. Therefore, I would like to find somewhere that would allow me to do all (or almost all) of the coursework remotely. Does anyone have any recommendations within the U.S.?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No specific recommendations, but verify that the program you choose is ABET accredited. I think there are "Master of Engineering" programs out there that are not ABET accredited.

DaveAtkins

N.C. State offers a distance MS program. (At least the last time I heard.)

And that's a pretty good school. I've worked with a lot of NC state grads.

SlideRuleEra has compiled a list (of multiple discipline programs) here: Link

DaveAtkins said:
I think there are "Master of Engineering" programs out there that are not ABET accredited.

I thought ABET only accredited undergraduate programs and not post-graduate/masters programs.

Ingenuity said:
I thought ABET only accredited undergraduate programs and not post-graduate/masters programs.

That was the case the last time that I looked into this. I can't ever be MLSE because my undergrad is Canadian (CBET), even though my MSc is from a US university with an ABET undergrad program.

gopher13 said:
I am bouncing around the idea of getting my masters degree in structural engineering.

What's your motivation? At your level of experience, I don't see this as helping your career any. You'd be better of with an MBA or a new hobby. And, as far as personal interest goes, you'd be much better off reading books etc if you've got the discipline to make that happen. The only thing of significant value that I got from my MSc was the interaction with some great classmates and professors. Online, even that's questionable.

kootk said:
What's your motivation?
Learning. I also don't have many contacts within the structural engineering field. So I am hoping to become friends with a few people I could bounce ideas off and learn from. I am the only structural engineering within my organization and I work/live in a rural area on a military post. The closest structural engineering firm of any significance is probably 100 plus miles away. Not exactly convenient for meeting someone for lunch.

kootk said:
I don't see this as helping your career any.
As far as earning more money, I agree. I work for the government and currently have no desire to go back to the consulting life style. They will not increase my salary nor will I become more qualified, in their eyes, for a higher paying position. However, there is a good chance that they will pay for the additional schooling. So no financial investment by me, just time.

kootk said:
You'd be better of with an MBA or a new hobby. And, as far as personal interest goes, you'd be much better off reading books etc if you've got the discipline to make that happen.
MBA....meh. New hobby is a good idea. However, the current hobby seems to be the problem. Most of the time when I plan on sitting down and doing a little extra leaning/reading I end up going fishing instead.

I really appreciate your insight. Thank you!!!

I did find that the structured learning forced me to progress in ways that would have been more difficult, or perhaps impossible, working on my own. It was downright excruciating at times but there was progress.

Another good reason might be this "raise the bar" initiative. It might impact you on down the line as far as reciprocity goes. (That's one of the reasons I finished mine.)

A lot of people think it won't impact them......but looking at how these states are implementing SE requirements.....I wouldn't bet on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back