Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ON STABILITY REPORT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodebobo

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2009
HI,

please, i want someone to help me with on stability report (onshore pipeline design). i will be happy and gratefull if i can have a template on the report.

Thanks for your time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Onshore stability typically evaluates risk in specific areas along the RoW and may include quite a number of things.

liquifaction,
swamp,
river bed conditions and currents,
sediment transport over pipe,
rip rap, matting, gabion effectiveness,
river bank conditions at low and high water,
cut and banking stability,
fill and compaction stability,
lake bed,
flooding,
high & low ground water tables,
freeze thaw cycle & ice lensing,
permafrost effects,
landslides,
karst and other geologic formation dangers,
faulting,
snowmelt,
soil type, formation and slope stability as it effects its susceptibility to erosion
pipe ditch washout at upslope/downslopes
thermal expansion,
wide operating temperature differentials,
wide ambient temperature differentials,
degrees of bend vs burial depth,
weight of overburdens vs upward expansion tendency,
estimated length to virtual anchors near equipment,
electrical current potentials
stray current potentials,
electric rail lines,
potentials of other utilities in the area,
nearby high voltage transmission lines,
wind erosion of sand (in some areas of the world)
chemical nature of soils encountered.

Not bad. I'll think I'll keep that list myself.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Earthquake considerations are the liquifaction & faulting part, because its only an earthquake sometimes. At other times they're sand flats and faults. Actually I was in two earthquakes while I was out on the RoWs. Once in Venezuela in 1996 and another in Turkey in 2002. What surprizes those were I can't possibly tell you.

Ya I did have third party damages in there, but erased it, since I consider that as being outside of "stability", but there are a few other things on the list that could fall far outside too. 3rd party stuff is basically handled separately by the class location survey. The class survey is specifically required for gas lines, but also a common means of evaluating oil RoW location as well. And CP is typically covered in a separate study, its just that bodebobo might be a newbe, so I wanted to be sure to mention those specifically, since they might not be so obvious in a fly-over.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back