Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One anchorage connection but multiple anchor groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingcow1999a

Structural
Jul 29, 2010
US
Appendix D has definition of "Anchor Group" and uses words such as "group of anchors" and "multiple ~ anchors with <some condition>".
I am trying to understand how to identify anchors for above mentioned words for various capacity checking (breakout, blowout, etc.). Here are some of my understand and would like to ask for your input - am I correct? What's wrong? Thanks...

1. in our design practice, for an anchorage design, all anchors are one "Anchor Group", for example, all anchors in one column base connection. So if the checking is for "Anchor Group", it is just ONE checking for one loading case.

2. Both "group of anchors" and "multiple ~ anchors with <some condition>" are referring to a subgroup of anchors of the "Anchor Group". So for each loading case, in all directions (shear and perpendicular components for all edges), the "group of anchors" and "multiple ~ anchors with <some condition>" need to be identified first and then perform corresponding checking.

For example, a line of anchors subject to shear to one edge. Assuming the distances between the line of anchors varies but they are a "Anchor Group" and subject to one result force which distributed to each anchor. I am thinking there is possibility that the "Anchor Group" has sufficient shear capacity. However, the first one, two, or three anchors near the edge and forms a "group of anchors" and the "group of anchors" would not have sufficient shear capacity. If this is the case, the checking needs to check all combinations of "group of anchors" and "multiple ~ anchors with <some condition>". That is lots of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back