Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

one bridge open and one bridge closed why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David C

Civil/Environmental
Mar 11, 2022
US
ok, I work with A federal DOT my role includes LOS inspections bridge inspections, roadway design/ construction oversite just to name a few. I am a bit confused as to why TDOT closed this steel bridge for repairs. but allows this concrete structure to remain open, both support Interstate traffic, both have ownership of federal with a moa for maintenance issued to TDOT... I would love an explanation of this because bridge design and construction is not my area of knowledge, I know enough to understand it.
Capture_hqofos.jpg

Capture1_gjzj4f.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not a bridge guy either, but here's my stab: The top one is a failure that, if I remember correctly, threatens the global stability of the entire structure. Dropping hundreds of cars into a river is a pretty high risk proposition. The precast girder system for the overpass has a lot more redundancy. I imagine they could close the outside lane/restrict truck traffic and keep it open.

So basically "Two different bridges in two different conditions were analyzed by two different parties and they got two different results. Why?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back