Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

one or two drain pipes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Civil/Environmental
May 14, 2006
US
hi, i was asked to work and a correction on grading plan and am having a hard time on one of the comments on the plan. basically we have a pipe running from a sump pump at the back of the property (lower elevation) to the street though a curb drain, and one catch basin in the front near the property line. original design had the catch basin drained out to the street by gravity throuth a separate pipe. now the plan checker is asking us to combine the two pipes into one before leaving the property. i was wondering how would we combine a gravity flow pipe with a forced pipe? and will this be more economical than using two separate pipes? by the way, using two pipes is allowed by the code.

pls help.

thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

most agencies will not allow pressure flow into a gravity storm drain or into the gutter. As Dick says, the correct method is to discharge to a catch basin and then gravity to the street.

An added advantage to the catch basin discharge is the operating sump pump and discharge may be obvious.

In my dry part of the country, an operating sump pump often indicates a problem. If the discharge is hidden or not very obvious, the flows are oftentimes not noticed and are not investigated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back