Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

One title block for many templates

Status
Not open for further replies.

adicm

Mechanical
Dec 4, 2003
MX
Hi, Is there a way to have only one title block for many templates? We have almost 10 drawing templates, and when I want to change a propertie or something in the title block, I have to change every template. That is very hard, because of the number of templates, and sometimes the changes are to small, but I have to change manually all the title blocks.

Thank you for your time

Adi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Template is saving the Sheet format into the themplate file. The only way to change it quickly would be, to save the Title block as the Referenced Sheet Format.The when you open up (Or create a new file using that template) Then RMB the sheet and select Properties. From there select Reload.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

For all Newbie's - Welcome to the nerd herd![laughtears]

faq731-376

Adi,
If you do not mine having the outside boarder lines and zones on the face of the drawing, you can do it. We do not like having any boarder format stuff on the face of the drawing, so we will not use this method. What we did was to use on size fits all approach. One “D” size drawing only.

Make a copy of all your templates; put them in some place safe.
Let’s call your templates A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2 and TitleBlock.
TitleBlock is what holds your part number, description and etc.
Open D1.drwdot, edit Sheet Format and delete everything except the title block.
Save as TitleBlock.drwdot
Open D1.drwdot, now Edit sheet and draw in the boarder with zone letters and numbers on the sheet “ NOT ” the Format. Edit Sheet Format by deleting everything. Save as D1.drwdot
Do the same for C1.drwdot for the sheet “ NOT ” the Format. Save as C1.drwdot

Now you have D1.drwdot, C1.drwdot and TitleBlock.drwdot
Open your D1.drwdot and Edit Sheet Format, you should see no title block now. RMC and reload TitleBlock.drwdot Save as D1.drwdot
Do the same for C1.drwdot
Let’s change TitleBlock.drwdot by putting a big circle over the title block on the Sheet Format.
Reload the TitleBlock.drwdot into D1 and C1. You will see the circle on both sheets.
Good Luck

Bradley

Hi Bradley: I have a question, How do you reload the Titleblock.drwdot? I try in the properties window, but it only allow me to reload a .drt or .slddrt, and I can't find an option to reload the .drwdot.

Thank you

Adi

Adi,
Open TitleBlock.drwdot and Edit Sheet format, make some change.
Click File in SolidWorks main menu, then Save Sheet Format…
In the Save Sheet Format dialog box in File name: TitleBlock.slddrt click Save.
Do you want to replace it? Answer Yes
In SolidWorks main menu, click File, Close.
* * * Very Important * * * Save Changes to TitleBlock. Drwdot – Sheet1? Click Yes.
Now open D1.drwdot Now RMC properties and reload.

The trick was and is to “Save Changes to TitleBlock. Drwdot – Sheet1?”

Bradley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back