Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

One Way Concrete Slab - Metric (Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelPenaWSE

Structural
Sep 2, 2013
CA
Hi There,

I wanted to know if anyone knows of a good Reinforced Concrete Design Book, a book that follows the Canadian Code and uses the metric system.

I recently graduated from FSU - but just moved to Canada.
I use as a reference the book I used in college "Design of Reinforced Concrete ACI 318-08 Code Edition" by "Jack C. McCormac and Russell H. Brown"... However this book uses English Units and follows ACI-08...

Or if someone has/knows of a One-Way Slab design example (PDF or URL) - Metric units, and hopefully one that follows the Canadian Code - it would be great.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well concrete design is governed by the concrete design handbook that is published by the cement association of Canada. it has everything you would need. I have some killer notes from one of my profs from college on pretty much all basic concrete design if you're interested. I can put them in a public dropbox if you want.

Jayrod is correct... Do not buy the A23.3 code, but the Reinforced Concrete Handbook (maroon/dark red hard cover); It will have everything you need!

Jayrod12,

Thanks, this helps a lot!
Quick question,
Do you happen to have the tables that allows the user to obtain "min. ration of steel" due to "Mu/(phi * b * d^2) - for different Fy and Fc'
I've attached a picture (see link below
83bW5cy
) of a table that uses Fy=420 MPa and Fc'=28 MPa... But it would be great if I had other tables with different Fy and Fc'

CELinOttawa,
The book that you are referring to, do you happen to have the ISBN or a picture so I can google it and purchase it??

Thanks!

there are tables in the book we have referred to that you can use kr=Mf/bd^2 which will give your minimum ratio.

The book ISBN number is 1-896553-20-6

jayrod... I had some data in the original spreadsheet posting and asked that the posting be removed... they took out your comment also; your comment was not off the mark... just collateral damage. I think we answered Miguel's question well...

Dik

The two best Canadian books that come to mind would be:

1) MacGregor's Canadian version concrete text which is a little out of date now.
2) The text by Kirk & Pillai

I find that the Canadian texts are much weaker than those published in the US. It makes sense. The US publishes 10x more material than Canada does. The odds that the best textbooks will be Canadian are pretty low. I just accept that I'll have to translate the code stuff.

In my opinion, hands down the best textbook for "how you actually do it in the office" concrete design is this one: Link. The newest version is expensive but you can pick up older ones on ebay for $5. Since the code's all wrong anyhow, the version hardly matters.

The greatest trick that bond stress ever pulled was convincing the world it didn't exist.

To dik - I notice that your spreadsheet has phi for concrete as 0.60. Actually in the Canadian Code (CSA A23.3) it is 0.65 and has been for quite some time. This generally won't make a huge difference for slabs, but just thought that I would point it out. I hope you don't mind.

DamsInc,

That was recommended to our class as supplementary reading however the few times I looked at it I wasn't impressed. I kicked the crap out of that course using only the design handbook and some awesome notes from a former prof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back