Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Online Classes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

swb1

Electrical
Jan 14, 2006
US
Hi,

Would anyone recommend taking an online course to learn embedded hardware design? It is being taught at a local university. Never took an online engineering course before and don't know how effective it would be.

Thanks,

swb1

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would think that so long as you do your due diligence, homework, and the instructor halfway decent, you should be able to learn something.

I can't see how you might expect any answers beside vague generalizations.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Pretty much what IR said... it depends upon what topics the course covers, how good/bad the instructor is, what you pull out of it by independent study, etc. Does the university offering it have a good EE program, or are they simply jumping on the "online course" bandwagon in hopes of bringing in more money? How long has their online program been available (if it's the first year or two, you may want to wait while they work out the bugs).

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I'd try to find out what hardware they use for development. Or is it only simulation? From there you can poke around the user groups and see if things look interesting.

Z

I took a couple of online classes and they turned out exactly what I thought they would be:
It is not as efficient as being in the class.
The instructors are there to give you a guideline rather than to teach you the actual (entire) material.
You will however have access (email) to the instructor and to others taking the class.

Therefore, what I did is utilized all the material that was give during the class and took it upon myself to learn (re-learn) the material, because the instructor should have the most pertinent material for that class.

Then, I bombarded the instructor with questions and discussion points which invited feedback from others taking the class.

At the end it's all about the time you put it and being organized.

Great info! Thanks to you all for your replies! I think being in class will serve my needs best, so I am going to see which schools offer in class sessions.

Thanks,

swb1

I got my MSEE program from Georgia Tech through distance learning program without ever setting foot on campus and I think it was first rate both in quality of material and ease of learning.

The on-campus lectures were videotaped and tape sent to me to view. The downside - you can't ask questions immediately (followup by email instead). The big upside - you can pause to write down/digest something, rewind to go over it, or fast forward if it's old hat. And by the way, why drive to class when you can watch the video in your living room!

Exams were same as on-campus students, just taken and proctored locally so if you want to know the quality of the program it's the same as the on-campus.

So, my particular experience - it was a perfect fit... perhaps better than on campus in terms of ease of learning.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

I got an MEEE (Master of Engineering, no thesis, instead of MS with thesis) from University of Idaho and had no complaints. Took 5 years working full time and taking one class per term, well worth it. I fully agree with the advantage of the pause button that distance learning provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back