Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Online course/resources to learn mechanical stress analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dikuza

Aerospace
Jan 18, 2017
AU
Hello, I'm looking for online courses/resources (either free or inexpensive) to learn general stress analysis.
My work experience so far (6 years) has been in Aerospace design and have been referred to Roark's, Shigley's, and Bruhn's text which I've started reading, however, these are very dense so looking for additional sources/methods.
Someone also recommended KU's engineering short-courses below but are much too far out of my price range ($2000).
Anything similar to these or other suggestions much appreciated!

Stress Analysis for Aerospace Structures
Aircraft Structures: Analysis & Design

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would've suggested OpenCourseware (as greg has) but I think you need something more basic.

Bruhn is a good book, starting from the simplest stress concepts and going through to very advanced concepts. But he wrote a long time ago, and is not very readable,

Niu's books are more readable.

I'd look at the local university's initial "strength of materials" texts.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

@rb1957, are you referring to Steve Niu's Engineering Analyses and Best Practices or Michael Niu Airframe Stress Analysis & Sizing (is this too specific to airframes only if I'm looking to just get started and something generic?)?

I found a copy of Niu's Airframe Stress Analysis 2nd edition (written in 1999), is this really the best place to start as opposed to something newer/more readable?
Thanks

Again, I suggest you start with a basic "strength of materials" text, from any university ... mechanical or aero or civil.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

There are good suggestions above. I would also add Flabel’s book. There is a course associated with this book (or used to be). I started with the Boeing flight safety classes which gives a solid approach to the basics. I would also add that a mentor is very beneficial.

A user of this forum (Crackman) has a old class for stress analysis basics. You might be able to find information about this by searching this site.

If ab initio...
Consider 1st year engineering texts; start with engineering statics (eg meriam and kraige), and drill yourself in static equilibrium until you can just about do free bodies in your head.

Then find a basic solid mechanics text (there are many... google) to learn about stress/strain and various failure modes.

After that some of Bruhn will start to make sense. Peery is easier to read.

Allow about 12 months ab initio, 6 months if you have some background in engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back