Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

online Engrg Tech-level "Electrical Machinery" courses? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tygerdawg

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2004
US
Casting a broad net here, maybe catch a jewel or two.
I've chased internet searches for this and it's difficult to sort through the noise.

I'm part of a team that is searching for an ONLINE "Electrical Machinery" course (aka: electrical motors course). Taught at the 4-year BS Engineering Technology level, not necessarily the 4-year BS Electrical Engineering level. Not at the 2-year AS degree level. An educational course, not a training course.

Has anyone ever seen a college or university that offers such an online course? I would appreciate any possible leads to follow.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Manufacturing Engineering Consulting

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MIT has on-line a free course in electrical machines
... although I would say unfortunately it is far more geared toward engineering than toward tech.

If you are a member of EPRI, I believe you can access EPRI's on-line electrical machinery course which is more geared to techs.

Electrical machines are my own primary area of interest, but but those are the only ones I'm familiar with. I'm sure you can find more on google.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Are you looking for field application information? That is information as to the suitability of various motor types to drive different loads, and matching motors to loads. As well, expected motor currents, losses and power factors from no load to gross overloads?
OR
Are you looking for motor design particulars.
The Cowern Papers are an excellent primer on motor basics.
I don't suggest the Cowern Papers as a solution to what you are looking for, but I am suggesting that a perusal of the Cowern Papers may help you to better identify the course that will fit your needs.
Download Cowern Papers
A testimony to the Cowern Papers

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

You're welcome.
I'm glad I could help.
Tygerdawg said:
With examples, problems, & lab exercises this could be a textbook!
That takes me back to one of the more enjoyable challenges that I have encountered.
In the early 80s I was hired to develop an industrial controls course for industrial electricians.
The course must be a hands on course.
The course equipment must be portable and easily shipped by freight. The area of jurisdiction where the course was to be presented was about the same area as Texas.
We used 1/4 HP three phase motors and combination motor starters from a variety of manufacturers.
We used industrial control relays and industrial push buttons and selector switches.
The text book/work book would present a control problem and supply a basic diagram.
The students would wire the equipment according to the diagram and prove the proper operation.
The students would then be presented with additional operating conditions. For example, a simple two conveyor interlock may have a shutdown timer added to empty the belts during a normal stop.
The students would then be asked to develop the wiring diagram themselves and wire it up.
Instructor challenges: When the students encountered a problem, the instructor would check the students diagram for mistakes, and if the diagram looked good then check the wiring.
The challenge then was to ask questions thet would lead the students to discovering the mistake on their own.
Grading/ passing. There was no failure, other than dropping out of the course.
The students paired off and most often students of comparable ability would team up.
The students worked through the workbook at their own pace. At the end of the course, some slower students had completed the basic single motor circuits. The faster students would be well into complicated interlocking schemes with multiple motors and relays.
But, all students knew what they knew. Some students had learned more than others, but all knew well what they had learned.
Initially I planned on using shaded pole motors and cheap plug in relays. The estimate for materials was $800. A decision was made to use actual three phase motors and industrial combination starters. The price went up.
Later I was it was decided to build two classroom sets rather than one set.
The final cost of material was $20,000, a 2500% overrun. Even nuclear power plants don't see overruns like that.
And I was thanked and complimented on a job well done.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

No doubt if you could hire Bill (waross) for an on-line course, it would be top-notch!

I didn't think of it before, but take a look at this:
thread237-364123
that thread gives links that covers many different aspects of motors in detail.

But in terms of one single reference that provides a good overview of motor related topics among those, I think EPRI 5036 Volume 6 is a pretty good survey of topics involved in motor construction/design (at an overview level), selection, application, installation and maintenance. It is by Richard Nailen, the same guy who wrote the book "Managing Motors". I have both references, and I'd say the content is roughly the same (but the EPRI one is now free (EPRI used to charge 15k/reference to non-members for these documents), while the book will set you back around $200 on the Amazon link... I think I paid $75 in early 2000's). The only downside might be the age of the reference (published in 1998), it's not 100% up to date with current standards and construction materials, very little on VFD's.

It's not set up as a course but it's a very good overview reference imo.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back