Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open delta pt question Customer up

Status
Not open for further replies.

B4rancher

Electrical
Aug 25, 2010
US
OPEN delta pt question
Customer upgrading to sel351s.
The existing open delay is connected A,C,B, with 'C' at the grounded center point. ABC rotation.
This is NOT scheduled to be changed. So WILL remain as stated.
The new drawings show the conventional 'b' center point ground connection to the sel, as stated in every sel pub.
I can apply this 'in phase ' to the sel but the core phase designation from the relay will be inaccurate.
So anyone have experience NOT grounding the b phase and neutral at the sel?
I can't find a good reference to apply this 'as found' condition and see issues with the supplied dwgs and phasing, pertaining mostly to metering functions.
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I understand that residual voltage from Broken Delta is being extended to the relay SEL 351S.
I suppose this input is used to provide Earth fault protection 59N (Residual Overvoltage based). In such a case, it is important to connect one of the terminals to ground for safety and doesn't matter which one.
If the residual voltage input is being used for directional Earth fault protection (as polarising voltage) 67G, it is important to follow the Relay manual recommendation.
In short, it depends on what for the Residual voltage input is used in the relay SEL 351S.

Open delta, broken delta, relay - delay -who knows? Maybe include a sketch to make sure we are all on the same page.

I believe that you have mentioned about the OPEN DELTA (VEE) connection and not BROKEN DELA connection used for GF detection.
Could you pl. upload the drawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back