Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Open Part Document-sldprt

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick6444

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2013
US
It seems when i go to open a file the choice
given to me is always Assembly-sldasm. Then i go through
choices to get to a part file-sldprt. How can i make
the default choice (when opening a file) be a part
file-sldprt-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you for the comeback-
But negative--I am useing Ver 2012
I do not have those icons down on
the lower right corner--What i do have when i select
File Open is a selection box with the selection( Assembly-sldasm)
in the lower right hand corner -if i click on it then above it opens
up a whole list of possible types of files to open. Not included are
sldprt files. I have to first select Add-Ins then select all-files-
then all the files of every type in the selected folder will appear
for me to select from!! WOW-- What do you think??

well that certainly is odd, I have never heard of
that problem before. When you say that you go to
Add-Ins are you saying that there is an Add-In for
displaying all file types? That shouldn't be an
Add-In.

When i click on my only option available (Assembly sldasm)
a list of all the different file types available to open
list's above. such as--DXF--IGES--STEP--also it lists-- Add-Ins (*.dll)
just like that--What i really want to do is open up part documents
in a chosen folder--but there is no choice for (sldprt)--so i click
Add-Ins and all the part files in the that folder come up on the screen for
me to choose from.
I don,t think it has always been this way--in the past months i have been
developing a quite large Assembly--so i did not think it was out of the ordinary
for Assembly to always show up---I'm quite sure it hasn't always been this way!!

Don't know what to think---

You can do this with a macro that does file open and choses SolidWorks Parts or All SolidWorks File Types. Then you can show your macro toolbar with icons for file types without needing the newly instituted type icons. I created my own custom functions for my spaceball. Just figure out the number of times to use tab key to get files of type then use page up down to get parts. Or hit s key to toggle all SolidWorks ??? types

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ mcSldWrx2008
= ProE = SolidWorks

that sounds like a good deal--make a Macro
it would be nice to have a Macro that would give
you a choice either sldprt. file or assm. file
Those two i use most often however i haven't gotten
into creating Macro's yet.
I guess i will have to look into creating Macro's---
Thanks for the Info----------Rick

Sorry it's a bit late, but I've only just seen this, but what you describe seeing is familiar to me from a couple of years ago before the "Quick Filter" icons were added. I'm not sure that there is a setting that defines the default option, but the File type pop-up seems to remember what was last used and in your case that was Assembly at some time.

I think that what you see is due to the poor design of File type pop-up that doesn't take account of what happens when the File Open Box is too big or too close to the RH side of the screen and because some file description are quite long. This results in a wide list and the pop-up's vertical scroll bar being off screen, so unless you know it has a scroll bar and drag the Open box to the left, or put the cursor in the box and use the mouse wheel you won't see that there are two options above Assembly, namely Part (*.prt;*.sldprt) and SolidWorks Files(*.sldprt;*.sldasm;*.slddrw).

Really the list should be aligned on the RH side of the Drop Selection box, so that it keeps within its parents screen and not expand off it to the right hiding the scroll bar!![banghead]

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2013x64 SP2.0 Intel Core i7 2.94Ghz, 12Gb Ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 Driver: 6.14.11.9100
SW2013x64 SP2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.17Ghz, 8Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 Driver: 6.14.11.9100

SincoTC--
I think you may be right-
I do not see a scroll bar to the right-
I can see some file extensions disappearing off to the right
I tried every way i know to move the list to the left with no success
any suggestions--- Rick

Hi Rick,

You should be able to move the whole "Open" Window to the left by putting the cursor on the window'a title bar and then left mouse click, hold and drag, note that it will tend to snap back to the edge if not moved far enough.

Alternatively, move the cursor to the extreme right of the window and it should change to a double headed arrow (but the RH end will be off screen. When you see the arrowhead appear click and drag the RH edge of the window to the left to resize the window.

BTW, if you have a wheel mouse, just move the cursor into the list and spin the wheel to scroll the list!

Hope that helps.

SW2013x64 SP2.0 Intel Core i7 2.94Ghz, 12Gb Ram, NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 Driver: 6.14.11.9100
SW2013x64 SP2.0 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.17Ghz, 8Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX3700 Driver: 6.14.11.9100

Hi rick,

As you can see from the attached image, the File Type box sticks out quite a way, but even then, not enough to show all the Mesh file options [evil]

You are a genius SincoTC
I tried again to move the list to the left
No way could i get it to move--I could move my screen left
but soon as i did a file open and tried it would not move
i could see half the little arrow but nothing would move.
for the heck of it i put my cursor on the top of the list
and drug it up and whammo--there were the two missing file types...
i highlighted parts and worked like a champ!!
So somewhere along the line SW got screwed up--What i will do
soon is an uninstall/reinstall.
Again i can't thank you enough--you hit it on the head
Thanks to all-- Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for you comments and glad you have at least got to your missing list items, it should now default to Part until you select something else! Not sure if you actually will need to re-install though as I think you may have misunderstood me.

I tried again to move the list to the left.

You can't move the list's position on the File Open window it's anchored to the file type selector control, you can only move the whole window so that its RH edge is a good inch away from the Main SW Window's RH edge as in my screenshot above so that the list is well clear of the SW main screen's edge.

However, reading your comments about your failed attempts to move or resize the File Open window:
but soon as i did a file open and tried it would not move
i could see half the little arrow but nothing would move.

I'm guessing that quite understandably, you opened the list so that you could move the window with it open and see when the off-screen scroll-bar was fully visible, but you found it wouldn't budge and this is where I think that you may have been thwarted by the idiosyncrasies of windows "Modal" controls. This is because once a "Modal" control like the File Type list is open, any attempts to use the cursor outside the control and its list will be ignored, so it must be closed before you can drag the window edge with the little half-arrow or the window itself on it's title-bar. With the list box closed the dragging should work as advertised!

If it doesn't, then you're right and something in SW must be broken and a re-install is required, but let's hope not as that's a PITA!

Have a good weekend [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back