Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Open SolidWorks File 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
Is there an easy method of opening a SolidWorks file without having a copy of AutoCAD?

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?
-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dik,

I prefer to open SolidWorks files with SolidWorks, myself...

What kind of file? SLDPRT or SLDASM or SLDDRW? What version? What do you want to do with the resulting file? Have you tried Draftsight or e-Drawings? Or Bricscad? Or signed up for Onshape yet?

And... what are you doing without a copy of AutoCAD? For shame...

And... try to be a good example for the young'uns, and provide context with your questions. You'd get away with it in the old days, but there's lots of students underfoot these days. We can't lecture them if we ask strange questions ourselves.

I'll find out, the client asked if I could use these... Bricscad has ACISIN, ACISOUT commands, they apparently can open the files... I've never used these commands... I maybe use 10% of the commands available. I've been using BricsCAD for the last 10 years... half the price of AutoCAD LT and nearly (about 99%) as good as the full blown AutoCAD. You should look into it... You can actually buy a license... not rent one.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?
-Dik

No need. I have access to "almost" everything at work, and a helluva lot at home, even.
I've tried Bricscad. Not for me. Interface has some hurdles to overcome that ACAD doesn't have, lacks things that ACAD can do that I know how to do. I use a bit more than 10% of ACAD's abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back