Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening an Inventor.dwg with AutoCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidCreative

Mechanical
Jul 27, 2004
CA
I know you can open an inventor.dwg in AutoCAD. However, when ever I open, it comes in "sheet" not model space, and my dimensions are in "inches" not millimeters.

I’m not so concerned about it opening in "Sheet space" but I do require the units to open in millimeters.

If anyone has a suggestion, it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Matthew

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Change the units of your AutoCAD dwg to inches before importing the Inventor dwg (or reference it as an xref and then bind/explode it). Use the CHSPACE command to move it from paper space to model space.

You could get someone to export the Inventor file as a STEP file, which you can import into Microstation and then save out as a dwg. It's a round-about process, but it will come in with true dimensions.

Oops, I did not read your problem statement correctly. I do not use AutoCAD very much anymore, but I think it comes in as a block in Paperspace. I think you can explode the block and then changespace to move to modelspace. Let me know if this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back