Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opening newer Pro-E files in older versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

boostjunkie

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2007
US
I am using both versions Pro-E WF4 and WF5. I have gotten WF4 to now open .prt files. However I am more interested in being able to open drawings and or symbols from WF5 in WF4. This has been an issue for several years now, so I'm hoping there are some new solutions or work arounds out there.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks, I know that one, as that's what I used to get the .prt files to open. As their tech support suggested I search google, I was wondering if he was hinting of a 3rd party solution.

Those versions of Pro/E are no longer under active maintenance. There won't be any new developments coming out for them. Very few CAD systems have any form of backwards compatibility. About the only thing you can do with drawings and symbols is write them out in DWG or DXF formats to open in the older version of Pro/E. That's seldom useful.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

There's an outside company that provides the Creo 3 ability to read other CAD formats, but I forget the name. If I find it I will post. It may offer the ability to push to older versions.

It's a much harder problem to convert drawings than models, particularly if the end result is to be alterable in the target format. Models are just surfaces, but drawings have multiple levels of inter-relationships that aren't typically exposed to the outside. That's why most drawing conversions are to or from things like PDF, which doesn't have much in the way of inter-relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back