Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Openings on concrete bearing walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonycampos88

Structural
Aug 22, 2013
US
hello,
I have some concrete bearing walls with some large openings. My question is how to design the lintel or header above them. I still have about 3 or 4 feet of wall above the opening. The problem is that sometimes I have some short openings where these 4 ft would cause a deep beam behavior, am I right? or can I pick a depth and reinforce this depth as if this was my beam?
What is the normal approach in these cases?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would probably pick a depth, say 2 feet. use that as the lintel calculation, the remaining foot or two feet of concrete above I would consider a dead load.

This may be conservative, it may be considered as wrong (as the additional concrete above will still provide some beam action) however it I think it a reasonable assumption to make. It avoids having to go into strut and tie models for deep beams.

But that's my opinion. At our office we specify 2-15m bars around all openings extending past the opening enough to develop the bars. There's a good chance that reinforcing and the depth of concrete above are more than enough to provide an adequate header above the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back