Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Operation of Carbon Adsorption Equipment for Ammonia Exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenRad

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2001
US
I have an exhaust treatment system where I'm using phosphoric acid impregnated carbon to adsorb ammonia in an air stream. The system serves some test equipment, which only runs a few hours per day. My preference for operation of this system would be to leave the exahust fan running all of the time, even when the test equipment is off. The result would be that the carbon vessels would see a steady flow of clean air for much of the day. But I don't want to do this if the flow of clean air will cause my carbon beds to "load up" quicker, and reduce their capacity for capturing ammonia. Can someone tell me whether or not this will occur?

I'm just an HVAC guy, and my experience with carbon adsorption systems is very limited. If there is a better forum for this question, please let me know.

---KenRad

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The clean air does not have ammonia that will be absorbed onto the carbon. Therefore, the service life will not be shortened by ammonia if the the equipment is running constantly.

You should have some type of prefilter on the Carbon Adsorption Equipment in order to collect particulate matter in the "clean air". If not, the particulate matter will shorten the media life.

If you are using atmospheric air you should reduce the relative humidity of your air if it's high (condense it then heat up the air) to preventadsorbing too much water on the carbon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back