Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinion of new Fiat Spyder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomwalz

Materials
May 29, 2002
US
Not at all my area of expertise.

Went to look at the car and the body shape just looked silly. Sort of an over-done version of really expensive cars.

Is this correct or is that body styling really functional other than from a marketing standpoint?

Thanks,
Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's the same underneath as the new Mazda Miata. Do you have an objection to that car, too? The new Miata doesn't look all that different in proportions from how they have been for 25 years and a few prior generations, and that car was not a whole lot different in overall layout and proportions from the British sports cars of old, which it took inspiration from (but, fortunately, without the sketchy electrical systems).

What, specifically, is your objection to it?

The engine is (mostly) behind the front wheel centerline to improve weight distribution, the rear wheels are just behind the passenger compartment because there's no need for it to be any further back. Mazda's rationale for that layout is the same as what Triumph's was in the 1960's and the same rationale as all the other small British sports cars of back then.

I find all ragtops absurd. I'd like either much better with a proper fixed roof like a Porsche Cayman.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

1. The promotional stuff I saw talked about the Spyder being back so I expected something with classic styling.
2. The car is so over-styled that it looks silly. I know, so is Ferrari but at least Ferrari does it well.
3. $80,000 ? For a Fiat ?

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

I have spent some time working in the US auto industry, and I have never understood why car companies routinely produce vehicles that make my eyes hurt when I look at them. As an old guy doing class A auto body CAD surfacing once told me, "It doesn't cost any more to design a good looking vehicle".

Remember how BMW uglified their entire model line after hiring Bangle? Back in the early/mid 60's Cadillacs were absolutely beautiful, but since then their styling has become cartoonish and amateurish. I'd like to know who the person at GM was that approved the body style of the Pontiac Aztek.

I've been thinking about buying a new GMC truck for the past 2 years, but the amateurish styling of the fender arches used on the current models would make my head hurt every time I looked at the truck.

Fiat want their version of the car to be more macho than the hairdressers' Miata. Hence the ugly looks.

Plus it looks like they are going to be up-sizing it with more power. Shame. One thing the Miata has never really needed is more power.

Steve

styling is a very personal thing. what you like may not be the same as what others like. that leaves the car designer with the problem to style a car in such a way that the largest number of the anticipated buyers will indeed buy one....whether that is done right here, time will tell. i have only seen images of the car so far, and in my experience cars may look quite a bit better or worse in reality. "Over-done version of really expensive cars" may be appropriate in some ways: because the car is relatively small some elements may look a bit too large - because they just need a certain physical size to be functional at all (seats, dials, frontscreenframe with integrated rollbar etc).

there is another aspect to this kind of styling. just like the Mazda Miata was styled externally more or less along the lines of classic british sportscars but never had the real charm that those had (although it was far better engineered underneath), these retro designs (New Beetle, Mini, Fiat 500) all try to fit a old and successful model of days long gone into a modern package that includes a lot of things the original could do without. the result: a more bulky, much heavier car that at first sight looks "classic" but in reality more or less like the original on steroids. so far i personally do not like the styling (they drive a whole lot better then the original), perhaps with the exception of the new Fiat 500 - a lot larger then the original but perhaps a new "classic" in its own right.

the new Fiat 124 Spyder does not look that is has been completely styled in Italy, it seems that various elements of the original Mazda and Fiat are combined into a new package that would also appeal to what i would call "american taste" where bulk often seems to win from subtleness.

Yes styling is a very individual thing. Some reviewers love the Fiat's styling. In my opinion, it has a great profile but the front is way too busy, trying to look aggressive.

Not Italian? - certainly not traditionally "elegant" Italian styling but then - have you looked at the front of La Ferrari? Seems that is the way things are heading - unfortunately.

je suis charlie

SomptingGuy - I will never purchase a Miata until they give it more power. It can't even keep up with budget grocery getters in a straight line. Yes it looks much better in the latest gen and they have always handled well and been fun to drive but sorry, I ain't buying slow with my money. When they offer S2000 levels of power from their 2 liter I might think about it. Nope, still would never buy a ragtop.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Wiki: "It is based on the 4th generation Mazda MX-5 roadster - the two being even built in the same Mazda Hiroshima plant - although with Fiat-designed all-new bodywork..."

Hard to see much difference in the bodywork. It looks like an MX-5 from any distance.

I'm still sad I got rid of the S2000... [neutral]

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back