Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions on 1/2 Ton pick up truck Load Control Helper Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricckk

Automotive
May 8, 2006
US
I have a 1/2 ton Chevy Pick Up Truck. I am considering installing a aftermarket set of 3 leaf adjustable load control springs. I pull a dual axle car hauler with my truck. I am not having any problems pulling my hauler with my stock 1/2 ton suspension. But when I first bought this truck it did have a set of aftermarket single helper leafs installed and it seamed to handle much better untill one side snapped. So of course I had to remove the other. The set I am currently considering are a 3 leaf / 2500 lb load capacity. Which may be a bit overkill but, I should be able to load my truck with out ever having to worry about overloading it. It also has a aftermarket rear stabilizer bar currently installed on it. The truck does handle nicely! Will these load control springs I am contemplating installing have any derogatory or adverse effects on handling?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It may drive like an unsprung truck when unloaded.

My worst experience with a truck with overly stiff rear springs was the uncomfortable fore-aft pitching motion. That was unbearable on long trips.

A picture can be seen at Hellwig Suspension, products, Load Control, Load Control Pro Series, LP-25 Installation Instruction. That is the Spring Set. It is a 1991 Chevy K1500 Extended Cab, 4x4 5.7 Liter, 350 V8 5 speed Manual Transmission. Everything is stock as far as Wheel and Tire Size

I'm not seeing how the Roadmaster Active Suspension is 'active' in any way.

I can see how the devices might be effective against axle wrap, but it's also clear that they stress the stock springs in ways for which the springs were not designed, so expect some effect on spring life.

Conversely, my Navigator is equipped with air bags and leveling valves on the rear wheels. It rides like a limousine when unladen, and it doesn't ride badly when our 30 foot travel trailer is attached to the back with an equalizing hitch.

I have in the past fitted 'air shocks' and 'air lifts' to a fair assortment of large passenger cars and used those cars to carry fairly heavy loads or pull trailers. The air bags don't last forever, but a proper installation will usually get a couple of years' service out of them. Absent an onboard compressor and automatic leveling valves, you have to push a little compressed air into them to offset heavy loads, and use a tape measure to get the ride height right, but it's not a huge inconvenience. They may affect the unladen ride a little, because you need to keep a little pressure in them so they won't buckle.

Air Lift brand and other auxiliary air springs are available for most pickups, and deserve consideration for your application.

RV stores also sell several variations of completely passive polyurethane super jounce bumpers that might also be satisfactory.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back