Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Opinions on screw pumps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asolhu

Chemical
Sep 30, 2002
FI
I'm searching for a reliable pump for chemical pulp pumping in elevated consistency (10-15 %). What's your opinion on screw pumps? Can they handle thick stock better than centrifugal pump systems? Do they actually require less power? Reliability?

All opinions are welcomed!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Unless you are pumping more than 100 mgd of the stuff, I would say they are a nightmare. The higer solids will only add to the problems typical of this type of pump such as trough wear, screw shaft deflection and on and on....

Look for a good progressive cavity type pump system or a reciprocating type. I used a company called Penn Valley Pumps on a fiberglass sludge system with solids in your range and it is still working to this day.

Good luck

Bob

In general, we don't use centrifugal pumps to pump high-viscosity fluid(>2500 SSU) or solid. Try internal gear pump or lobe pump(for solid).

If I was a pump vendor I would recommend the most expensive pump. Very low flow rate 5 m[sup]3[/sup]/hr could be low for some applications, but can mean overkill in others.

Please be specific !!! Steven van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back