Optional type flanges per ASME VIII Div.1 Appendix 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrisDom

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2019
IT
Dear All,
I'm facing some issues relevant to optional type flanges with my colleagues.
First of all, I'm quite sure ASME VIII Div.1 Appendix 2 doesn't specify any limit for the use of loose flanges (in case I'm wrong, please, tell me!!).
Based on that, in case I need to strengthen my flange, starting from a loose type one (e.g. Fig.2-4(3)), I could provide additional groove weld on the backside of the flange and treat it as an optional type one (e.g. Fig.2-4(8a), with welding dimensions as per Fig. 2-4(8)).
I could calculate it as an integral type flange, but, for simplicity, I could decide to calculate it as a loose type flange.
However, in case the conditions relevant to g0, B/g0, P and oper T are not met, I'm not allowed to treat it as a loose flange.
The strange to me is that, starting from a loose flange (whichever the conditions are), in attempting to improve the flange stability with additional welding, I reach the point that my "improved" flange cannot be calculated as a loose one anymore.
Am I missing anything in my logical thread?
So, my doubts is: Why setting limits for optional type flanges to be calculated as loose type flanges and not for loose type flanges?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cristiana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back