Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Options to economically retrofit sound insulation to STC 43

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seadog83

Mechanical
May 30, 2024
CA
Where I live (NS, Canada) they recently introduced the ability to add secondary suites to your house, in hopes of alleviating the current housing crisis.

While we typically don't do it, one of our clients asked us to look into the program, to see what we thought, as they wanted to convert a basement into a secondarily suite.

Most of the requirements are fairly common sense, but the two big ones are 1, it must have it's own ventilation system (ERV/HRV), and 2, between the main unit, and common areas, an STC value of 43 for walls and ceiling, which is typically sound bat + resilient channel.

If the home was not built with it, this basically entails a gut to the studs, lots of pricey sound insulation, remounting electrical boxes which will now be 1/2" out, sound channel, re drywall, re finish.

Keep in mind there suites are limited to 650/850 sq ft depending, so you won't even be able to rent for a ton of money.

I think many jurisdictions in NA are doing something similar, (presumably?) with similar requirements. Is there an economical way to convert a part of the house, that would otherwise just need some walls and a door into a suite? Or is it really a $40k rebuild from studs up?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can hardly imagine it being less, esp if its $-Canadian.
Remodeling a bathroom, basically limited to moving a door and [pre][/pre]new floor and wall tiles, just cost me € 8,000 New kitchen 14,000, using existing oven, fridge and dish washing machine.
Price of everything construction related is up 2 and even 3x, that of 2yrs ago. Drywall $20/sheet. Plywood... forget that. Its € 60+ for a 3/16" panel.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

The plumbing, electrical, and HVAC alone will probably set you back around $25K. Then, you are going to have code issues with other items like insulation, ceiling height, window escape access, etc. Many older houses also don't have the correct foundation drainage, insulation, and moisture control in basements. No easy solutions there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back