Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ordinate dimensions defaulting to 'chained'

Status
Not open for further replies.

usteiger

Mechanical
Mar 31, 2004
CA
I have a drawing template which I've been using with which I can create ordinate dimensions which do not come up as chained. I've recently switched to a new drawing template created by someone else in the office. With this new drawing template, every ordinate dimension is automatically drawn as chained. This requires me to manually de-select the 'Chain Dimension' check box on every single ordinate dimension I create. I can find no option or setting anywhere, in the template or elsewhere, which allows me to toggle the chain dimension option. I've tried re-saving the template with ordinate dimensions drawn in and unchained, also without success. The individual who created the new template is also at a loss to explain this behaviour.

I could go with the brute force method and redraw the template using my old template as the base, but would prefer to know what setting or parameter I'm missing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To answer my own question, it appears that having the standard changed to ANSI from ISO does the trick, although I could have sworn I tried that change without success.

This is a problem I have had since 2000. Chained dimensions are required in both ISO and BSI standards thus the template has been fixed and needs changing on each dimension string which is a pain. I did put in a request in 2000 to SW but they did not take it up. Using ANSI template is a good idea as long as other parameters can be make to ISO standard. I will have to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back