Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

*ORIENTATION, DEFINITION=OFFSET TO NODES IS NOT PERMITTED WITH A KINEMATIC COUPLING DEFINITION

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavGray

Mechanical
Apr 9, 2020
GB
Need help with this, it's really causing me bad anxiety.

also getting errors *COUPLING, FILES "JOB-8.INP", LINE 339382; PARAMETER ORIENTATION REQUIRES A VALUE

That error comes up 4 times and then the error in the subject aborts the study.

This is an analysis of a steel pipeline (3D solid extrusion) and a composite cylinder (3D shell extrusion) which is acting as reinforcement on the OD of the pipe. The individual parts run fine, analysis completes with no issues. I've set the ply orientations within the composite layup and have set the material orientation in the composite wrap model. The pipeline is isotropic obviously.

Interaction between the pipe and wrap is set as a surface to surface contact, with surface-to-surface discretization.

I've not done anything as complex as this before, and am working with the GUI rather than scripts and modifying input files.

Thanks for your help

wrap_errors_vuehgj.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems that you defined orientation for coupling constraint using offset to nodes method (coordinate system created by giving local node numbers for points a, b, and c). It's not allowed in Abaqus.

Thanks for your reply.

I can't remember doing that. My individual parts have cylindrical coordinate systems applied, and coupling constraints to reference points on them.
I wanted to use cylindrical because I've got a pipeline and a wrap, they're symmetrical about the Z axis.

And I should say that everything I have done to get to this point has been within Abaqus, no scripting from Python or anything. All Abaqus GUI

Check the input file generated by Abaqus/CAE (or use keyword editor). If *COUPLING keywords containt ORIENTATION parameter, delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back