Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

origin of old large tapered flange beam? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

austim

Structural
Mar 3, 2001
AU
I am interested in finding out the likely origin of a large taper flange I beam (as a born and bred Brit I would normally call it a RSJ). Overall depth 910mm (35.8"), width 420mm (16.5"), web thickness 20mm ((0.79"), flange 28 to 37 mm (1.1 to 1.5").

I am only asking out of plain curiosity (we already know the steel strength and have calculated the section properties); I have never come across such a section before. (And "before" covers a fairly long span :)).

None of my references show RSJs (would these be called S beams in the USA?) anywhere as large as these, which have been procured by an Aus contractor, who intends to use them for some temporary work.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The beam would not be considered an "S" shape. It is just refered to as a 36" Beam. It was probably manufactured in the late 20's or early 30's. A good source of information is "Iron and Steel Beams 1872 to 1952" by AISC.
I looked and cannot find your beam exactly. However, there are beams listed which have properties that are very close. Considering rolling tolerances your beam is probably listed.

It might be a UK Universal beam section. A 914*419*343 kg/m Ub section is 911.4mm deep, 418.5mm wide, flange 32.0mm web 19.4mm root fillet radius 24.1mm flange taper 3 degrees aprox

No - the + sign indicates that the section is not one of the British standard sections.
The # sign indicates a British standard section which is not rolled very often and availability may be difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back