Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Origins of ADMD diversity factor formulae...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandpotato

Electrical
Jul 11, 2007
AU
I was wondering if anyone knew where the origins of these diversity factor formulae for 'After Diversity Maximum Demand' originated from. I've seen them used everywhere but no derivation, only the occasional one liner saying empirical verification was done.

Residential
DF(N) = (N+1)/N

Commercial
DF(N) = 0.9 + 0.5/N^0.5

Where N is the number of loads

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a possible homework problem, possibly not... I'll leave it be for now to play it safe.

Anything empirically derived is going to have a vague background.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I guess the derivation part does sound homeworky, so I guess I'll clarify my position.

Here in Western Australia the power industry has recently become regulated, were it was self regulated in the past. So in that situation, if there qere questions about how things were done it wasn't really addressed if there were more important things to do. Now a separate regulation body has been implemented by Government so there is now a process of going through documents and address all these issues. Because if a customer complains about his quality of supply we have to explain why we allocated him 'X' kVA in our initial design.

I'm asking the question, and hoping that the formula does have some theoretical/hostorical background, if its empircal and local , then the data collected to generate that formula may have been lost aeons ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back